Friday 8 April 2011

Shakespeare to old for being Best British Writer

This has got to biggest con going making Charles Dickens the best what a load of rubbish.
I was not aloud to study Shakespeare at school. we did letter writing work out well for know but at the time we could not join in with other students reading Shakespeare talking in a very odd way ( old English) It put me on a very journey doing my own studying buying very old book and buying books to understand the test. this is a quote from a dairy entry 1711-1744 Vol 4 Spectator writing about Oxford street " Lots of colour people walking along Oxford street" When I read this I thought we did not people from overseas so was left scotching my head but I got a book that tell you what the old English meaning are into Modern English Colour people mean people were bright cloths.
Their is a lovely letter written by school boy dated 1711 it would even be published today he is asking the Spectator for some money for his Latin books as his parent do not have the money for his text books that he needs. It was a joy to read and I will post the letter on here when I get time do not worry if you do not understand it your get the general jest of the text.

2 comments:

  1. Mr. SPECTATOR,
    I am a lad of fourteen. I find a mightily Pleasure in Learning. I have been at the Latin School four years I don’t know I ever play’d truant, or neglected any Task my Master set me in my life. I think on what I read in school as I go home at noon and night, and so intently, that I have often gone half a miles out of my way, not minding whither I went. Our Maid tells me, she often hears me talk Latin in my sleep. And I dream two or three Nights in a Week I am reading Tuvenal and Homer. My Master seems as well pleased with my Performances as any Boy’s in the same Class. I think, if I know my own Mind, I would choose rather (rather is on both pages this must be away of making the reading out load to easy and no stop net) to be a Scholar than a Prince without Learning. I have a very good affectionate Father ; but tho’ very rich, yet so mighty near, that he thinks much of the he thinks much of the Charge of my Education. He often tells me he believes my schooling will ruin him; that I cost him God knows what in Books. I tremble to tell him want one. I am forced to keep my Pocket-Money and lay it out for order’d my Master to buy no more Books for me, but says he will buy them himself. I asked him for Horace’t other Day, and he told me in a Passion he did not believe I was fit for it, but only my Master had a mind to make him think I had got a great way in my Learning. I am sometimes a Month behind other boys in getting the Books my Master gives Orders for. All the Boys in the school, but I, have the Clafffick Authors in usum Delphini, gilt and letter’d on the Back, My Father is often reckoning up how long I have been at School, and tells me he fears I do little good My Father Carriage so discourages me, that he makes me grow dull and melancholy. . My Master wonders what is the matter with me; I am afraid to tell him; for he is a Man that loves to encourages Learning, and would be apt to chide my Father, and not knowing my Father Temper, may make him worse. Sir, if you have nay Love for Learning, I beg you would give me some Instructions in this cafĂ©, and persuade Parents to encourage their Children when they find them diligent and desirous of Learning. I have heard some Parents say, they would do any thing for their Children, if they would but mind their Learning: I would be glad to be in their place. Dear Sir, Pardon my Boldness. If you will but consider and pity my Cake, I will pray for your Prosperity as long as I live

    London, March 2, 1711
    Your humble Servant
    James Discipulus
    Thursday
    The SPECTATOR Volume the Fifth London Printed for J. and R Tonson in the Stand 1744

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have remembered this text for a great number of years and I am very humbed to publish this letter again some 300 years later for when it was writern . This is what I think for missing Shakespeare of the list for best Best British Writer letter written by a 14 year old some 300 years later being publish again for all to see. It tell us so much about life 300 years ago and brings the 16 's back to life by a 14 year old

    ReplyDelete